Specialised Perinatal Counselling in Melbourne
The perinatal period is a time of enormous transition in the life of every family. Throughout pregnancy and after the birth of a new baby, it’s estimated that one in six mothers and one in ten fathers will experience perinatal depression.
Here at The Centre for Clinical Psychology, we aim to enhance the wellbeing of parents and their infants through our dedicated Perinatal counselling. By providing professional support throughout such a difficult time, our team of birth psychologists can help you find happiness and wellbeing once again.
If you believe you’re experiencing Perinatal Depression, get in touch with us today on 03 9077 0122.
What is Perinatal Depression?
Perinatal Depression is a mood disorder that can cause severe sadness, anxiety, fatigue or guilt during pregnancy or after the birth of a baby. It is a condition that can make caring for children or oneself difficult and can last for months or even years if left untreated. While Perinatal Depression more commonly affects mothers, fathers can also suffer from this mental health condition.
You should seek help for Perinatal Depression if you are experiencing any of the following symptoms:
- Panic attacks.
- Extreme mood swings.
- Feeling sad or anxious for no apparent reason.
- Feeling constantly tired or exhausted no matter how much sleep you get.
- Losing interest in hobbies you once enjoyed.
- Withdrawing from friends, family and your children.
- Finding difficulty in caring for your newborn or yourself.
- Becoming easily irritated
How we can help you
We can provide support at all points along your perinatal journey
- Conception, planning and infertility issues.
- Feelings of depression and anxiety surrounding pregnancy or throughout the pregnancy period.
- Birth support and preparation for welcoming a new child.
- Support with transitioning to parenthood, relationship issues and changes in identity during the postnatal period.
- Guidance through the early stages of parenting, such as connecting, communicating and supporting other family members upon the arrival of a new baby.
How can a Perinatal Birth Psychologist Help?
At the Centre for Clinical Psychology, we believe that looking after the mental health of a new mother or father is just as important as physical wellbeing. Welcoming a new baby into your life can come with a wide range of psychological transitions that can be difficult to cope with. For this reason, many women find it helpful to discuss their changing feelings about pregnancy, birth, the baby and the transition to parenthood with a perinatal psychologist.
Our psychologists can support you if you have encountered difficulties with infertility/ART, pregnancy loss, pre-term or traumatic birth. Our birth counselling professionals can also offer understanding, alternative perspectives and ultimately help you to find new ways of coping. We are skilled in evidence-based approaches to the treatment of antenatal and postnatal depression and anxiety, and evidence-based models of parenting. With each client, we not only listen and understand their concerns, but work on achieving tangible goals and coping techniques that can be used outside of therapy.
Book your appointment today
If you are struggling with pregnancy or the arrival of a new baby, our perinatal counselling can help. You are welcome to bring your baby to your session and our rooms are comfortable and appointed with baby change facilities. If you require remote psychological support, please get in touch with us regarding our Telehealth counselling services.
Contact us today to book your appointment!